10 Tips For Creating the Best Instagram Profile Possible
Ever noticed that there are some accounts on Instagram you just HAVE to follow?
I mean, even if you’re not into cats on Roombas (who isn’t, though?), there is SOMETHING about the account’s profile that draws you in and lets you know they’re going to brighten your feed every day.
This is not an accident, my friends. And there are things you can do to create that same desire to follow and like in others!
We’ve put together some of these tips and tricks on how to make your Instagram profile more attractive below!
You know what they say about first impressions, right? This is true in life AND online. It all starts with a profile that pops. Here are eight tips on how to create the perfect Instagram profile and make sure yours is among them!
Start by making sure you have an Instagram Business account. Some of the suggestions below will not work on a personal account.
Plus, you’ll want access to analytics and maybe someday – advertising options.
All set? Here’s how to start the Instagram profile optimization process!
1. Use your full name on your profile and make sure it’s spelled correctly. This will help you gain more followers, since people can search for you by your name.
2. Add a profile description of about 10 words that describes what you do and why people should follow you.
3. Include a link to your website in the description if possible, so potential followers can find out more about you and what you do. 2 4. Keep in mind that the photos on your feed are what others will judge you by, so be sure to use high-quality images with a focus on content rather than just pretty shots of things or places.
5. Go through your privacy settings and make sure you have a decent mix of public and private content. If you share too much personal information, people may not trust you with their own content and images. Similarly, if you only share public posts that don’t say much about you, potential followers won’t know what to expect when they follow you on Instagram and will be less inclined to do so. 6
7. Keep your hashtags limited—five is plenty—and don’t just use obvious ones like #ig or #instagood . Your profile might get picked up by search engines if someone searches for something related to your niche that has a relevant hashtag attached, but more than five hashtags can actually hurt your chances of being seen in searches for specific terms.
8. Join relevant groups on Instagram and participate in them.
Participating in groups can help you get more followers for a number of reasons: you’ll be seen by people who are already interested in your niche, if someone sees your account and likes what they see, they might follow you; if they see that you’re already involved with like-minded people, they may trust you more; and of course, if you provide value to group members by providing interesting content or helpful answers to questions, they may decide to give your profile a look when they’re on Instagram so they can see what else there is to enjoy.
9. Don’t be afraid to ask for shout-outs from other users, but don’t go overboard with it. If someone is interested in your work and asks to feature your profile on their own account, say yes! It’ll get you more followers and help you network as well.
10. Join relevant communities on Reddit and participate in them. On Reddit, you’ll find subreddits for just about anything, including ones specific to social media marketing.
Take a look at /r/SocialMediaMarketing and /r/Instagram and consider joining other groups that can be helpful as well. Again, you don’t want to go overboard with it—one or two posts per week should suffice for most people—but participating regularly can help you establish a reputation as a knowledgeable person in your niche and grow your audience over time.